emco GPR Precision Smoothness tester
Manufacturer: emco Elektronische Meß- und Steuerungstechnik GmbH
The emco GPR is a smoothness tester according to Bekk for paper with automatic compensation of air pressure.
The smoothness or roughness is a substantial surface property of papers, cardboard and cartons. The quality of the surface structure has a great influence on the printability and any form of coating. The Bekk smoothness is a method established in the paper industry based on air flow. The slower the air flows between the paper surface and the ideal plane, the higher the smoothness, expressed in the Bekk smoothness seconds. The shape, the total volume as well as the distribution of the cavities at the contact surface are decisive for the smoothness.
In contrast to PPS and Bendtsen, a representative paper area of approximately 10 cm² is tested in the Bekk method.
- DIN 53107: 2016-05 Testing of paper and paperboard – Determination of smoothness according to Bekk
- TAPPI T 479 cm-09 Smoothness of paper (Bekk method)
- ISO 5627: 1995, confirmed in 2016 Paper and board – Determination of smoothness (Bekk method)
- Compensation of measured values of air pressure, required in DIN 53107: 2016-05
- Two measurement ranges (standard volume and 1/10 volumes)
- Test of the density and calibrating mode is menu-driven
- Supervision and registration of the testing climate
- Quality assurance
- Production control
- Research and Development
- Decor paper
- Photo paper
- Cigarette paper
- Specialty papers